Monday, January 8, 2007

What's Shakin Uptown

The Harlem Shakes are a band I know very little about outside of the fact that I'm obsessed with their new EP Burning Birthdays. I also know that lead singer Lex was polite enough to take the time to read my myspace profile and respond with a real message when I sent them a friend request. I'm glad I caught this band on the way up cause soon he won't have time for those sorts of niceties.
All the pieces snap together to build a jigsaw puzzle of this years big thing in indie rock. First you build the outside edge from the angular guitar grooves of The Strokes, back when they knew how to have fun. Then you look for all the vocal colors splashed across the mosaic. The Walkmen, CYHSY, Paul McCartney, 60's soul and the rest. Finish putting it together when you layout the pieces for the wide expanse of sky behind it all. Its the same sky that Bloc Party moves you toward, till you push right over the edge of the cliff and soar 3 minutes into a song. Take one look at it all together, then break it apart and drop everything back in the box. Now even though you know exactly how the pieces fit, I bet next time you have even more fun putting it all together again.

The Harlem Shakes- "Red Right Hands"

1 comment:

Liz Dwyer said...

How cool that he actually replied to you. I like the song! They should come to Coachella this year.