Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Little Lily

Lily Allen is but one part of my self professed Anglophilia. She's just about the cutest damn Chav this side of Sussex and I'm really feeling her style. Born of Myspace demo postings, her album Alright Still went straight to #1 in the UK based on the easy ska-lite rhythms and snotty/charmings lyrics. It was a perfect summertime record that sounded like a tall glass of hard lemonade, saccharin sweet but plenty boozey.

I've put a few tracks on the album in heavy rotation at one time or another but right now I'm all caught up in "Littlest Things". Observational slice of life moments rap-sung over a wilting piano melody make for an I miss you song thats equal parts sentimental and realistic. Leaves me glassy-eyed with a smile still on my face. That and I love the way she calls sneakers "trainers". Shit is dope.

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

So I finally heard some Lily Allen and yeah, she's great. Didn't put me to sleep like boring Corinne Bailey Rae.

silly j said...

love her...and she samples professor longhair. can't go wrong!